Monday, July 25, 2011

My worst night ever!

Hello, I just remembered one night that I had in the ER that I would like to tell you guys about! It was the worst night I EVER had there! First of all, we were extremely busy, like no open rooms at all and our waiting room had people standing because they had run out of spaces to sit. It was not even the usual BS patients either! We had some very sick patients that night! On top of all this, It was me another good tech that works down there and an extremely lazy agency tech. This girl was so lazy we would find her just sitting in the break room reading or watching T.V. and of course we had to pick up her slack. I understand that agency people may not understand all of the procedures or policies or understand the importance of getting people in and out in a timely manor, but she could of at least seen how busy we were and asking either me or the other regular tech all the things she could help with. Anywho, this night I had just been vomitted on, I had been peed on (on purpose from the patient) I had to empty a rectal foley that was so horrid I wore all of my PPE and masks just so the stench would not get on me, and what do you know happens? Of course some of the fecal matter splashes on my scrubs! So that's vomit, urine and runny fecal matter on my scrubs thus far! So I call our OR and get a new pair sent down to me to change. Well the OR scrubs don't have pockets on them so I had to put my iphone and my wallet in my locker. Back to work I go. Then we have a procedure that I help with that was so bloody, I wound up getting blood all over my scrub top... no problem, I can just take it off and work in my undershirt. It was then one of the nurse asks me to help clean a patient. Again no problem, we clean patients all the time right? What she failed to tell me was that this woman had a major infection in both of her lower extremities and was bed bound at her house, her house that has no AC in the middle of summer! So of course both of her legs are covered with maggots! So I get a little dish, fill it with peroxide, get our medical tweezers and go to town on this woman's maggot infested legs. After an hour or so of feeling like I have something crawling all over me, the agency tech comes in to the room and asks if she can help with anything! Finally! I tell her no, I am finished now, if you could just go to the OR and get me a new pair of scrubs please. Well the night went on, it remained busy for the rest of our shift. After a long night of maddness in the ER, upset patients, crying families and being peed on, pooped on, vomitted on, bled on and maggoted on I am very excited to get to clock out and go home!! I go to my locker to get my iphone and wallet only... of course... GONE! I LOVE MY JOB! I LOVE MY JOB! I LOVE MY JOB! I LOVE MY JOB!

No comments:

Post a Comment