Monday, July 25, 2011

Life in the EMS world

In July of '06 my dad had a motorcycle accident; It devistated our family. He was in flighted to our citie's trauma center and was in the surgical ICU for 10 days. His skull was busted open, his brain swollen out, every rib was broken, he had gravel matted in his face, he was intubated and on ventilators and all sorts of drips. I was working for a major airline at the time of the MVA, but when I spent all that time around the hospital and the medical terminology and seeing how all of the nurses, paramedics, doctors and all staff truly loved what they where doing; I knew I had to join them! My dad passed away July 11, 2006 and I was in EMT school August 2007. Since then, I have had the chance to meet so many interesting, and exciting people! I got to work with the paramedic that flew my dad in to the trauma center! I got to work many exciting (as well as many not so exciting) calls. I have traveled to many different states on some calls, and stayed right here in my hometown on most others. I have worked the busy city as well as the country. I now work in an Emergency Room where I also see some great patients. I get to work with the best and the worst of humanity. I dearly and truly love what I do for a living, but sometimes I feel as though I just need to tell people about it. I am sure if you work in the EMS world, you are the same. I have seen in just the short amount of time, everything from children coding (most horrible calls) to GSWs (I cried for about a week on one certain GSW) to Assaults to amputations (yes one day there was a random finger sitting in a tub of ice on our nurses station, the woman said her key ring was around her finger when her and her man got into an altercation, she said he pulled the keys not knowing they were around her fingers)! I absolutely love hearing all of the stories and experiences from other EMS workers who love what they do. If you have a funny, sad, frustrating, or otherwise just a story that you feel you need to just get off of your chest or just want to talk to someone about it. Please send me an Email telling the whole story. I will check it to make sure there are no HIPAA violations (of course) and post it on here. If you do give me your name, it will not be posted so you don't have to worry about that. I will be adding plenty of "venting" posts later on, but for today I wanted to just get the word out that Mad Medix is not just a place for my venting or my experiences, but for everyone in the EMS world. It is not also just for being Mad as the name may imply. You may tell of great code saves, or just need to talk to someone out there. Who knows, maybe someone is going thru the same thing and may need to talk to you as well. If you would like to get your experience on my blog, just email me at Mad_Medix@yahoo.com and I will check it, and repost it on here. Thanks alot! Also please be sure to tell everyone about this blog so we can get the word out about it! Again, Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment